Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Kurt Cobain-Montage of Heck



Check your age at the door!  Did you grow up in the 90s?  Did you like "alternative/punk/rock"?  Are a fan of Nirvana or even know who Kurt Cobain is?  Well get ready for the ride of your life!  No, I'm not talking about the movie, I am talking about my review!  There are two sides to this documentary; one showing a pretentious, self loathing, pity party lead singer of a band who is constantly fishing for compliments pretending to think their music sucks.  It also is the story of a damaged young man who has been battling his own demons and competing with his genius and lack of acceptance in his younger days.  This all fueled with drugs and rapid rise to fame.  You decide, but I have made up my mind and lost a lot of respect for Cobain (if I ever had any) after watching this film.  I found myself saying "Who do you think you are"?  You cant be anti-everything mainstream just because it is mainstream!!!  Not to mention where the hell was Dave Grohl?  There was some good here, as a documentary film it showed a nice complete start to finish of the life of Cobain.  It was a good mixture of how he likely viewed the world from his own eyes overshadowed by a haze of depression and drugs.  I agree that he single handedly changed the face of music for a generation and was a musical genius.  The long movie was filled with conflicting stories from family and friends. It showed how Courtney Love played the part of Yoko well.  But again, where was Grohl!?  I wish I hadnt watched this movie but curiosity killed the cat, I liked to think of Nirvana as something different and would have liked to see a Docu on Nirvana not just Cobain.  I think Grohl actually bowed out not wanting anything to do with this movie, regardless of the rumors.  Last question, did anyone around the biggest band in the world ever think to mention an intervention or help for the sinking lead?

FYI:  Frances Bean apparently left the viewing of this film saying, "You made the movie I wanted to see".

***1/2

2 comments:

  1. I agree, no Grohl was just a stupid choice. I figure he probably didn't even want to be in it. While Cobain was a great musician Grohl was every bit as good imo. I didn't think it was all that "deep" just kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! Grohl is an amazing musician and quite possibly could have been the star, he was just a little too happy I think! The 90s needed depressed, drug addicted, nerds with anger issues. :)

    ReplyDelete