Friday, September 4, 2015

Z for Zachariah


Its the end of the world as we know it!  It's hard for me to watch a post apocalyptic movie with "last man of earth" scenarios because I constantly think of Phil Miller in "The Last Man on Earth".  It always turns into a joke and I keep repeating "Carol" in my head!  In this film there isn't much to say as it is slow, quiet, and seems to creep.  Contrary to the critics bad reviews, I thought it was very well done.  There is a lot of tension and good stories that keep you interested but not a lot of payoff unless you actually use your brain.  There are a lot of unanswered questions witch I think rubbed people the wrong way as most viewers these days want it thrown in your face with no mystery.  So here we have the uber hot Margot Robbie playing a southern hick who is struggling to survive in a world contaminated with radiation.  Her farm is the only thing in existence that has survived and is a safe haven.  A stranger shows up and they form a close bond only to be shaken up by another stranger more "her type".  This creates tension as emotions run hot.  I have many theories on what happened to one character and what is known and not known but I wont spoil it for you.  This is a thinker that makes you wonder what you would really do in this type of situation and if you would be smart enough to survive.  I would give it a shot, again I really liked it but you may have to be in the mood.  Now excuse me while I go stockpile food and water.

FYI:  After the film wrap party Pine was arrested for DUI and lost his license for 6 months.

***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment