Tuesday, April 17, 2018

The Florida Project


If you need a good idea of how children become a product of environment, I think movie serves as the universal manual.  I am not surprised at the fact you may not have heard of this movie although I am shocked that it wasn't more heavily publicized.  It was up for a few awards this year but don't think it took home much.  My first thought when writing this review was to be sarcastic and be my usual smart ass but the more I think of this film the more I really, really enjoyed it.  It was a bit disturbing due to the fact that these poor kids have nothing, and are basically abandoned most of the day but there was a calming sense of joy in their still pure minds.  Unfortunately the single parent, who in the majority of the situations are making all the wrong decisions and screwing themselves.  It is your classic story of the welfare parent complaining about never getting a break and that the world is against them all the while acting like a fucking idiot and playing the lazy victim.  The story revolves around the tenants who live full time in a hotel as it is really the only place they have to go.  The management rules say this is prohibited, but Bobby, who is one of the managers has a soft spot for everyone and goes out of his way to make exceptions.  The acting in this movie was phenomenal all around!  Dafoe was absolutely controlling the screen the entire time and I would boldly say this is his best role!  It is a bit of a downer but heartwarming all the same.  Free on Amazon Prime, so give it a shot!

FYI:  Dafoe spent time living in the actual hotel to get a sense of the environment and people there.

****1/2

1 comment:

  1. How on god' green earth did they get the daughter to cry like that in the end. The kids acting is soooo damn good in this. Also, I do most of my Christmas shopping outside of hotels from whore's and their children. Great deals on purfume!

    ReplyDelete